Jodie Kelly Dressage offers a unique and extensive learning experience for the right individual seeking to become a future professional in the horse
industry. We offer a relaxed, fun but goal-oriented atmosphere in which the intern can develop all aspects of his/her equestrian knowledge.
This position is ideal for an aspiring dressage rider or young rider who wants to learn by doing and benefit by learning from people who have invested over 20 years training, learning, competing and
selling quality dressage horses.
We are very committed to providing an opportunity for the real education of young, ambitious equestrians in a competitive dressage program. We can offer shared housing, the opportunity to
advance your riding and horsemanship skills at an accelerated rate and "hands on" experience with quality horses and top professionals.
Jodie Kelly Dressage participates in shows in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and surrounding states. Interns have many opportunities for showing, ranging from small schooling shows to large
Interns assist with the daily operations of Jodie Kelly Dressage, performing tasks such as cleaning stalls, grooming and tacking up horses, cleaning tack, and keeping the facility neat and clean.
The care of the horses is most important to us. This means routines are created that best serve the horses, not the people. We ride six days a week. You will have one and
one-half days off each week. Having fun is not out of the question, but it is a working training and sales facility.
You will be given the opportunity for private lessons with Jodie up to two times per week and lessons with an assistant trainer up to two times per week with the potential for additional riding time hacking
or warming up other horses. If room permits, we welcome interns to bring their own horse for their training process. A minimum commitment of eight months to one year is preferred.
- A fun pleasant attitude, maturity, energy, and a great sense of humor
- A self starter with a willingness to go above and beyond without being told
- Someone who pays attention to details, takes initiative, and can make decisions
- Ability to make a full-time, long term commitment to your training - ideally a year or more
- Professional appearance and manner
- Minimum, very solid dressage basics, ideally ridden 2nd level or above
- Experience riding a variety of horses
- Must have a calm and even personality
- Ability to take instruction, retain learning, and apply it when not supervised
- A passion for learning something from every horse and every ride
- Solid references are a must
- Must be 18 years or older at the time the internship begins. Parental approval required if under 21
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Provide own means of reliable transportation
- Provide proof of current auto insurance
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs and work outside in the Florida extreme weather conditions
- Funds for necessities for the duration of the internship (i.e. gas and food)
- Must have current health insurance while participating in the program
Interns will have opportunities to interact with:
- Ability to train as far as your abilities and the horses can take you under the guidance of a proven FEI Grand Prix rider and trainer
on many horses of various levels from starting youngsters thru FEI competitors
- Shared housing
- Opportunities to show
- Possible board for one horse
- Interns will be required to pay for all their horse's expenses, including stabling; feed, hay, shavings, vet and farrier
If you are interested in our internship opportunity please fill out the form below.
- Equine dentists
- Equine chiropractors/accupuncturists
- Equine massage therapists